Learn how to configure and manage taxation globally and at the store level.
InkSoft will not provide tax advice for liability reasons. Please consult a tax professional to be certain you are operating under your jurisdictional tax rules and regulations.
In this section, you can determine Global and Store level taxation settings. InkSoft uses a third-party tax service that provides tax percentages for each State, City, and Zip code.
- Click Settings within the admin portal
- Click Shopping Cart Settings
- Click Taxation
- Federal Tax ID Number: You can enter the Federal Tax ID number you use for filing with the IRS. Note: This is optional, not required.
- Non-Taxable: Checking this option will not charge ANY tax throughout your entire store. (This is a global setting and will be applied to all stores within your license.)
Note: Check only if you are 100% certain that your organization is not liable for sales tax in any jurisdiction. We advise that you consult a tax professional on all matters regarding taxation.
- Click Save
Tax Rate Overrides
InkSoft Tax Rate Overrides are intended to allow you to customize tax rates for specific products, cities, postal codes, and states/provinces, in case you need specific rates that our system isn't aware of.
Important Note: If you choose to utilize Tax Overrides, keep in mind, we will use the automated rates for any conditions not overridden in the spreadsheet. For example: if you have a custom rate for a Youth product that you sell and you have no other overrides, we will utilize the override in the sheet for the Youth product entered, and everything else will fall back to the automated rate.
How to add Tax Overrides
- Download the CSV template in the Tax Overrides section.
- Determine which fields need to have overrides applied to them and fill in the fields accordingly.
- Once the CSV has been filled out, click Choose File to find the CSV on your computer, and upload it to the page.
- Ensure the CSV is active so that the overrides will be utilized
Unsure if you need to be using overrides? Here are some common scenarios:
- You have a Youth G500 for your Sal's Tee's store and you need to charge 5% tax on this product. Here is how the spreadsheet should be filled out:
- You have a custom tax rate for the state of Texas for all stores because of your sales volume. Here is how the spreadsheet should be filled out:
But how does the system select an override to use?
It’s possible for an order item to match with more than one row in your spreadsheet. In this case, InkSoft selects the most specific applicable row. The columns in the template are ordered left to right from most specific to least specific, so product Sku is considered more specific than manufacturer Sku, which is more specific than postal code, and so on.
Note that for US tax overrides, you may enter a 5-digit zip code or a 9-digit zip code. 5-digit zip codes will match all 9-digit zip codes that share its first 5 digits, but 9 digit zip codes will only apply when there is an exact match on all 9 digits.
For example, if you upload a tax override spreadsheet that has one row indicating that the store name “My Shirt Shop” has a tax rate of 5%, and another row indicating that California, US has a 8% tax rate, orders in My Shirt Shop that ship to California will have an 8% tax rate, while orders to other states will use the 5% tax rate.
Note: The City and County columns are for your own reporting purposes only and will appear in any reports that include Sales Tax Jurisdictions.
Taxable Locations and Taxable Stores
- Taxable Locations - Add in the address information for the states where you collect tax. Taxable locations can be customized at the store level to ensure proper taxation.
- Taxable Stores - Assign and edit the taxable locations assigned to stores, or mark a store as tax exempt.
Creating a taxable location
- Click to Taxable Locations and view the current list of locations, clicking on the name of the location to make edits, or clicking the trash can to remove it.
- Click the + sign to add a new location. Location name, city, state and zip are required.
- Once a location has been added, it can be applied at the store level, under taxable stores.
Managing Taxable Stores
- You are able to view all your stores and their current taxable locations or adjust the taxable locations at the store level.
- Click to your store selection and apply your locations via the dropdown, saving your changes.
- Tax Exempt - Click this checkbox if no tax should be applied to any product or customer in that store. No tax will be charged if this box is checked.
Looking for information on product specific tax rate settings? Please see our guide here, reviewing the product class feature.