Set up PayFlow Pro Fraud Security Settings
Fraud Security Options
Some of these features can increase your per-transaction charge. If you have further questions, please reach out to PayPal directly. Their information is at the bottom of this page.
Fraud Protection Settings
- Login to PayPal Manager
- Click Service Settings
- Click Fraud Protection
- Edit and manage Fraud Filters
Breakdown of Basic Filters
Basic filters screen against data such as the country of origin and the value of transactions. PayPal provides basic filters for Business accounts and Website Payments Pro accounts.
Listed below will be the Filters options and brief description. To read more about the option click the name, to see the full article PayPal provides.
- Total Purchase Price Ceiling FilterThis filter compares the total amount of the transaction to the maximum purchase amount that you specify. The specified action is taken whenever a transaction amount exceeds the specified ceiling.
- Total Item Ceiling FilterThis filter compares the total number of items to the maximum item count that you specify. The specified action is taken whenever the item count in a transaction exceeds the specified ceiling.
- Shipping/Billing Mismatch FilterThis filter screens for differences between the shipping information and the billing information. The specified action is taken whenever the shipping information differs from the billing information.
- AVS Failure FilterAddress Verification Service (AVS), compares the street number and the ZIP code submitted by the customer against the data on file with the card issuer.
- Card Security Code Failure FilterThe card security code check compares the number provided by the customer with the number on file with the card issuer.
- Zip Risk List Match FilterThis filter compares the Ship To and Bill To ZIP codes against a high-risk list managed by PayPal. PayPal determines high-risk ZIP codes based on analysis of millions of e-commerce transactions. The specified action is taken whenever a submitted ZIP code appears in the PayPal risk list.
- IP Address Velocity FilterThis filter scans for repeated transaction attempts from the same computer. The specified action is taken when the filter detects five or more transactions within three days coming from the same IP address.
Advanced filters screen data such as credit card and addresses information, lists of high-risk indicators, and additional transaction characteristics. Website Payments Pro merchants can upgrade to use these filters.
Listed below will be the Advanced Filters options and brief description from PayPals article on that filter. To bring up the full article click the name.
Note: Using advanced filters might incur additional charges.
- Buyer Authentication Failure FilterThe filter is triggered when the customer’s identity is not adequately authenticated, according to criteria that you specify
- USPS Address Validation Failure FilterThis filter screens the Ship To and Bill To addresses against the United States Postal Service database of existing addresses. The specified action is taken whenever the address cannot be validated
- E-mail Service Provider Risk List Match FilterThis filter compares the email service provider used by the customer against a list of high-risk email service providers managed by PayPal. The specified action is taken whenever the email service provider is found in the PayPal risk list.
- IP Address Risk List Match FilterThis filter screens the IP address from which a transaction originates against a list of high-risk IP addresses managed by PayPal. The specified action is taken whenever a submitted IP address appears in the PayPal risk list.
- Account Number VelocityThis filter scans for repeated use of the same credit card account number. The specified action is taken when the account number is used a fifth time within a three-day period.
- Geo-Location Failure FilterThis filter compares the IP address of the customer’s computer and compares its geographical location to the billing and shipping addresses. IP addresses are unique identifiers for computers that can often be mapped to a specific city or area code. The specified action is taken whenever the IP address, shipping address, and billing address do not fall within a 100 mile radius
- Bad Lists FiltersThis filter compares the customer’s email address and credit card number against the lists of addresses and numbers for known bad customers.
- International Shipping/Billing Address FilterThis filter screens the customer’s shipping and billing information for non-U.S. addresses. The filter checks for country code 840, or any derivation of “United States” in the country fields. Any other country name triggers the filter.
- International AVS FilterThe International Address Verification Service (IAVS) determines whether the issuer is domestic (US) or international.
- International IP Address FilterThis filter screens for international IP addresses. An IP address is a unique identifier for a computer that can identify a particular network and a particular computer on that network. The specified action is taken whenever the IP address indicates an international computer or network.
- Country Risk List Match FilterThis filter screens the customer’s shipping and billing address information for matches with countries on PayPal’s list of high-risk countries. The specified action is taken whenever any of the information matches a country on the risk list.
- Good Lists FilterThis filter compares the customer’s email address and credit card number against lists of addresses and numbers for known good customers.
- Total Purchase Price Floor FilterThis filter screens the total amount of a transaction. If a transaction amount is below the price set for this filter, then the transaction is automatically accepted and no other filters are applied after this filter.
- Custom FiltersA Custom filter is a user-created compound filter based on Fraud Protection Services' existing transaction filters. Custom filter improve the accuracy of fraud identification and reduce the number of transactions held for review.
- Product Watch ListThis filter compares the SKUs of the products in a transaction against the Product Watch List that you create. Any transaction that contains a SKU that matches an entry in your Product Watch List triggers the filter.
PayPal Contact Info
Hours of operation: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Central time