Taxation Settings per Store
InkSoft will not provide tax advice for liability reasons. Please consult a tax professional to be certain you are operating under your jurisdictional tax rules and regulations.
In this section, you can determine Global and Store level taxation settings. InkSoft uses a third-party tax service which provides tax percentages for each State, City and Zip code.Store Taxation Details (Optional)
- Click Settings
- Click Shopping Cart Settings
- Click Taxation
- Federal Tax ID Number: You can enter the Federal Tax ID number you use for filing with the IRS.
Note: This is optional, not required. This will be entered within your "Order Tax Detail" Report so that you can send over needed information to your accountant.
- Non-Taxable: Checking this option will not charge ANY tax throughout your entire store. (This is a global setting and will be applied to all stores within your license.)
Note: Check only if you are 100% certain that your organization is not liable for sales tax in any jurisdiction. We advise that you consult a tax professional on all matters regarding taxation.
- Click Save
Taxable Countries (Optional)
Configure tax settings for Countries per individual store
- Country Selection Dropdown
- Name (VAT, GST, Etc)- Tax representative name
Note: The Goods and Services Tax(GST) is a value-added tax levied on most goods and services sold for domestic consumption. In effect, GST provides revenue for the government. Also referred to as Value-Added Tax(VAT) in some countries. (To clarify please seek representation from a tax professional)
- Tax Percentage- % to be added per country
- Tax Shipping- Check to Tax on Shipping
- Tax All- Check to tax on everything
- Plus Sign (+)- Add another country taxation per store
- Click Save
Taxable States (Optional)
- Zip Code- This is based on your stores location
Note: This is automatically entered for you upon store creation. It will pull the zip code based on the address you enter per your stores location.
- City- You can type in the city name that is associated to the zip code. This resolves the issue of having multiple cities under one zip code.
Example: If Tempe, Mesa and Phoenix were under 85281. And each city has a different Tax Rate - Tempe 8%, Mesa 7.5% and Phoenix 8.5%. By entering Zip Code 85281 with City Tempe, it will calculate the taxation of 8% that is associated with Tempe.
You have 3 Tax By options:
- Base Zip Code- Apply taxation based on your stores zip code
- Destination- Apply taxation based on your customers zip code
- Not Sure (Recommended)- Allows our third-party taxation take into effect and tax correctly every time.
Note: Based on your states requirements for taxation, it will tell you whether you will be taxing by "Destination or Base Zip Code unless overridden" underneath your Tax By choices.
- No Tax On Shipping- You can exempt taxation on shipping. By checking the box, tax will NOT be applied to shipping for any in state transactions.
- Override Tax Percentage- You can override your taxation percentage per your store.
- GL Code- A General Ledger contains all the accounts for recording transactions relating to a company's assets, liabilities, owners' equity, revenue, and expenses. The general ledger is the backbone of any accounting system which holds financial and non-financial data for an organization
Note: This will only show if you are integrated with ShopWorx. You also NEED to have this entered if you are integrating with ShopWorx. ShopWorx support soon to be depreciated.
- Trash Can- You can delete your stores taxation configuration.
Note:If you are working with an organization that is tax-free, you can either delete the line item for that store so the whole store will be tax-exempt OR you can make all products in that store tax-exempt under Products>Manage Products.
- Click Save
You have the ability to override an entire stores taxation settings to make it tax-free!
- Click the checkbox next to the store you would like to be tax exempt
Please consult a tax professional to ensure you are operating under applicable tax laws.Harmonized System Codes & Tax Rules
Please click here to view the training guide for setting up HS Codes.