Learn how to configure and manage taxation globally and at the store level.
InkSoft will not provide tax advice for liability reasons. Please consult a tax professional to be certain you are operating under your jurisdictional tax rules and regulations.
In this section, you can determine Global and Store level taxation settings. InkSoft uses a third-party tax service that provides tax percentages for each State, City, and Zip code.
- Click Settings within the admin portal
- Click Shopping Cart Settings
- Click Taxation
- Federal Tax ID Number: You can enter the Federal Tax ID number you use for filing with the IRS. Note: This is optional, not required.
- Non-Taxable: Checking this option will not charge ANY tax throughout your entire store. (This is a global setting and will be applied to all stores within your license.)
Note: Check only if you are 100% certain that your organization is not liable for sales tax in any jurisdiction. We advise that you consult a tax professional on all matters regarding taxation.
- Click Save
Taxable Locations and Taxable Stores
- Taxable Locations - Add in the address information for the states where you collect tax. Taxable locations can be customized at the store level to ensure proper taxation.
- Taxable Stores - Assign and edit the taxable locations assigned to stores, or mark a store as tax exempt.
Creating a taxable location
- Click to Taxable Locations and view the current list of locations, clicking on the name of the location to make edits, or clicking the trash can to remove it.
- Click the + sign to add a new location. Location name, city, state and zip are required.
- Once a location has been added, it can be applied at the store level, under taxable stores.
Managing Taxable Stores
- You are able to view all your stores and their current taxable locations or adjust the taxable locations at the store level.
- Click to your store selection and apply your locations via the dropdown, saving your changes.
- Tax Exempt - Click this checkbox if no tax should be applied to any product or customer in that store. No tax will be charged if this box is checked.
Looking for information on product specific tax rate settings? Please see our guide here, reviewing the product class feature.